Experience the Spirit by Embracing the Savior
Passage: Galatians 2:15–3:10
Our text for this message was primarily Galatians 2:15-3:14. Below are some questions to help you in devotions and discussions.
1. Why was Paul so alarmed (Galatians 1:6)? What were the Galatians doing that troubled him so much?
2. Read Galatians 2:15-21. What does it mean it be “justified”? And what does it mean to be justified by faith alone in Christ alone and not by ourselves or our works? (For more help on justification see Romans 3:19-4:8.)
3. How did the Galatians first receive the Holy Spirit (Galatians 3:1-5)? What had been His effect on them (see also Galatians 5:22-26)?
4. Why was the word “rely” so important in verse 10? And how does the word “rely” speak to how we should approach seeking to obey the law or do good works?
5. What do you think happens to someone when they try to rely on obeying the law in order to be justified (see Galatians 3:10-13 and 5:17-20)? Why do you think this happens?
6. As you consider your life right now, are there ways you are relying on yourself to be accepted before God? Why do or why don’t you think this?
7. As you consider your life right now – do you think you have a healthy grip on the gospel of faith in Christ alone to justify you once and forever before God? If not, how do you think you could grow in this regard?
8. Ask God right now to help you honor His Son by continuing to trust in Jesus alone for forgiveness and righteous standing (justification) before God.