Mary Sees Her Risen Savior
Passage: John 20:1–20:20
Below are some questions from our Easter Sunday teaching for your use in devotionals or discussions. The Scripture Text is John 20:1-20.
Intimacy We Were Made For
- How does Jesus respond to Mary’s cries? Why do you think Jesus asked her these questions and then called her name?
- Do you believe Jesus has the same attitude of compassion and concern for you in your troubles and tears as He did Mary? (Consider Psalm 56:8; Hebrews 4:15; Psalm 62:8; and 1 Peter 5:6-7.)
A Family We Were Saved For
- What does Jesus tell Mary to tell the disciples? How might His resurrection relate to the message He gave her?
- What does Jesus say to the disciples when He first sees them? Why do you think he says this at the same time that He shows them His wounds? What have His wounds accomplished? (See Isaiah 53:4-6.)
- Do you honestly feel comfortable calling God your “Father” and Jesus your “Brother”? If so – why? If not – why not?
A King We Depend On and Live For
- Jesus asked Mary in her distress, “why are you crying … who are you seeking?” As you think about the hardships and troubles in your life, how might you respond if Jesus asked you why you are troubled and “who are you seeking?”
- What do you think Jesus wanted her to see about Himself and why? Why did He tell her not to hold onto Him? What did He have to do and what is He doing right now for you? (See Hebrews 7:24-25.)